ParaPro Exam Preparation
(the exam for teaching/instructional assistants)
The Adult Learning Center has helped hundreds of individuals prepare for and pass the ParaPro exam. The School District of Pickens County requires applicants for teaching/instructional assistant positions to pass the ParaPro exam OR have an Associate's Degree or higher OR have at least sixty hours of college credit.
To begin the process of taking the ParaPro exam, adults must first complete an initial assessment (TABE). After the initial assessment is completed, a person will receive a learning profile and be advised if they need to attend class before attempting to take the ParaPro exam.
- Beginning August 23, 2016, students can register and complete the assessment on Tuesday mornings or evening.
- Limited space is available for assessment (14 slots at a time), and slots are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- You should plan to arrive no later than 8:00 am for morning registration/testing and no later than 4:00 pm for evening registration/testing.
- Students arriving later than these times may not be admitted to testing.
- Classes operate on monthly sessions; students will be placed in the next available session.
- The ParaPro test will be scheduled by the Instructor when candidates demonstrate readiness for the exam.
Beginning September 1, 2016, the cost for ParaPro students who take the TABE & attend class will be $75.
The cost for those who want to take the test without screening will be $100 (for Pickens County residents) and $150 (out-of-district residents).
These costs include the cost of the test.
*No registration/assessment on school holidays or in-service days
You must be registered with the Adult Learning Center office to take the ParaPro test. Please be sure to do this as we will cancel a test if no one is registered (call 864-397-3825 to register).
Dates for the next ParaPro exams (9 am on each of the following dates--must arrive by 8:30 am):
- September 28, 2016
- October 26, 2016
- November 30, 2016
- February 22, 2017
- March 29, 2017
- April 26, 2017